Monday, October 5, 2009

NaNoWriMo

I'm going to participate this year, in November, in National Novel Writing Month. It will be a first for me, but not the first novel. I have two current novels in progress. One is at 48,000 words and the other is at 16,000. The rules of the game are that you start from scratch and finish 50,000 in the month of November.

If you do the math, it is a very neat 1666.66 words per day. Take into account the holiday (Thanksgiving - at which I will eat so much that I could not possibly write a word all day), and a day or two for organizing, outlining, regrouping, etc., and you come up with a general 2,000 words per day. Or at least, I do.

For those of you who do not write, 2,000 words a day probably sounds like torture. It's really not that bad. It is admittedly first draft stuff and it is meant to just get the words out, then revise later. For comparison, my previous blog post from yesterday came in at a cool 470 words and I wrote it in 10 or 15 minutes. Granted, a novel will take time not just to physically write the prose, but also time to think about it, flesh out plot points, and develop characters.

I think it is an interesting endeavor. I will at least learn something about my process of writing. Hope some of you might join me.

Peace,
Jo Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment