Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Seriously Obsessed

I hate to admit it, but I am seriously obsessed with keeping tabs on the Station Fire in LA. Partly because my husband is there at the moment, but he's smart and in charge of his Strike Team, so I wouldn't say this particular fire worries me. I think I just like to watch fire, or disasters, or both. Fire is primal, in our genes maybe. I hope I don't get someone knocking on my door for saying that. I don't mean I would ever start one. But if you show me pictures or I happen to be near a bonfire on the beach, I'm gonna look.

I've had the last two days off from work and my son is back in school (hooray!), so you'd think that would be prime writing time. Nope. Wrote a little bit but got time sucked by Twitter and live feeds from ABC, CBS and any other thing I could find. I need to work on my writing discipline. Should I write a certain number of words per day? Should I write for a certain amount of time? I haven't worked that out yet. I'm pretty sure that discipline would help though.

Staring at me this moment is a stack of English assignments to be completed in the next three weeks. I want to finish my degree, but I also want time to work on Margaret's Story. Wah. Big baby. I'll just make time. Stop watching the fire and write. It seems so simple! I'll just watch for the rest of the evening and then tomorrow, I'll write. I even try to go to bed and then get up to watch "just a little more."

Writing does that to me sometimes. I get up in the middle of the night with a great idea. Fire and writing. Good thing I'm married to a fireman.

Update 9/5/09
He has returned home safe and sound. Whew!

Peace,
Jo Taylor


No comments:

Post a Comment