Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Glimmer Train

Yeah! Happy Dance! We got our copy of Glimmer Train today.

What is that you ask?

Glimmer Train is something I'd never personally heard of until December of last year (2008 - we're being current, currently). It is a wonderful literary publication that is a collection of short stories. I write short stories, and it is the type of publication in which I (Margaret's Mom) would someday like to be published. So it's a big deal. I usually spend the three or four days after receiving my quarterly publication reading, reading, happily reading. And hopefully learning something about writing short stories.

I've been writing a short story for a class on point of view that has been giving me fits. Mostly because the teacher, whom I like, is having us compose the story from a point of conflict first, then filling in beginning and resolutions. Bass ackward. I've never written a story like this and I'm not sure I'll ever do it again, but I actually am learning something. I'm not sure what it is yet, it hasn't "gelled" so that I could actually describe said nugget of learning, but I have that learning feeling. Kind of like that loving feeling, but not quite. I digress.

All I'm saying is that it's good to do something different. Not just different THINGS, but different methods, ideas, paths help us learn something about the preferred method, idea, or path. Could be that we like it best. Could be that we've been doing it 100% wrong all our lives. Hmmm, sounds like a good premise for a story . . .

Peace,
Margaret's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment