Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Numero Dos

The sophmore post. I don't think I'll be able to stay in character for very long.

In The Prophet, Kahlil Gibran says to "let your best be for your friends." I always think that is a very nice idea, but what if I need to keep the best parts of me? What if I need to use them myself later? Is that being too selfish?

I like the idea of always blogging in character. But, like many good ideas, their execution requires a bit of tweaking for the real world. I mostly started this because, like Margaret said, I want to learn about blogging, but am afraid to be bad at it. Very bad. Exceedingly bad. An alter ego seems like the perfect device, but I know I will quietly slip into blogging about things "I" do and think about, and leave poor Margaret in the dust.

She'll forgive me. I'm her mother. Actually, what do you call a writer's relationship to their character? Are we parents? "My author" sounds pretentious. Well, until I can find a definitive answer from someone further along the path than I, I will continue to be Margaret's mother.

Peace,
Margaret's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment